There’s nothing better than a really chocolaty cookie, and these fit the bill. They are super easy to put together and with my method they are a dream to pipe.
Tips for success:
️The butter should be at room temperature.
️Cream the butter and sugar for the full three minutes as stated in the recipe.
️Pipe the dough immediately after mixing and do not chill before piping. Some recipes say you can chill dough for piped cookies and then bring to room temperature, but I do not recommend.
️Use a small piping bag and don’t over fill. It will make piping more difficult. I use tip number 826.
️After piping, place the cookies, on the baking sheet, in the freezer for 30 minutes before baking.
️If you want to bake at a later time, you can store the frozen cookies in layers separated by parchment in the freezer for about a month
How to freeze cookies to bake later:
Pipe on a parchment lined sheet pan and place in the freezer until firm. Remove the cookies and place in an airtight container separated by parchment paper. To insure freshness you could wrap the entire container in plastic wrap or place in a Ziploc bag. When ready to bake, place the cookies on a parchment lined sheet and bake per instructions.
Piped Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- 114 Grams Room Temperature Unsalted Butter 8 Tablespoons
- 50 Grams Powdered Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 20 Grams Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 100 Grams All Purpose Flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer cream together the butter, sugar and salt for 3 full minutes on medium speed.
- Beat in the milk.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into the bowl and mix on low just until combined.
- Fit a pastry bag with an Ateco # 826 star tip.
- On the underside of the parchment paper draw 12- 1 ½” circles.
- Pipe the dough in a circle on the line.
- Place the piped cookies in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the cookies and place on a rack and allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Dipping Instructions:
- Melt 4 ounces of good semi-sweet or white chocolate and stir in 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Dip each cookie and decorate with sprinkles or chopped nuts. Place the cookies in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.