Torta Sbriciolata con Limone
An Italian Crumb Cake with Lemon Curd
Crumb Cake Dough:
- 300 grams of All-Purpose Flour 2 ½ Cups
- 1 Packet of Paneangeli Lievito Pane Degli Angeli*** See notes below.
- 100 Grams of Granulated Sugar ½ Cup
- 50 Grams of Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 100 Grams of Cold Unsalted Butter 7 Tablespoons
- 1 Whole Large Egg
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 Cup of Raspberry Preserves Optional
- 90 Grams of Sugar
- 100 ml Lemon Juice 2-3 Lemons
- 84 Grams of Unsalted Butter 6 Tablespoons
- 6 Egg Yolks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the flour, Paneangeli, sugars and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 3-4 times to combine.
- Cut the butter into 1/2” cubes and add it to the flour mixture. Pulse until the mixture looks sandy. About 20 times.
- Tip the mixture into a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together the egg and yolks.
- Make a well in the center of the flour/butter mixtture and pour in the whisked eggs.
- Begin mixing the eggs into the flour, using a fork, by gradually pulling the flour into the eggs. Mix until you have incorporated the eggs and flour/butter mixture.
- Switch to you hands and gently squeeze the mixture until the mixture looks like crumbs and their are no dry spots.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture onto the bottom of a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Gently press onto the bottom of the pan. Do not press up the sides.
- If using – spread a thin layer of raspberry preserves to within 3/4” of the sides of the pan.
- Spread the lemon curd to within ½” of the sides of the tart pan.
- Take the remaining crumbs and sprinkle all over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove the outter ring and allow to cool until you can safely remove the bottom of the pan without breaking the cake. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Place a medium heat proof bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Place the sugar, butter and lemon juice and heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- In another bowl gently whisk the egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk the warmed sugar/lemon juice mixture into the egg yolks and return the mixture to the first bowl.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water and stir until the mixture begins to thicken. It could take about 7-10 minutes.
- Strain through a mesh strainer into a bowl. Press plastic wrap on the surface of the curd and refrigerate until ready to use. Or freeze for longer storage.
- Makes approximately 1 1/3 cups.
*** Lievito Paneangeli is an Italian leavening agent, infused with vanilla, used in sweet baking applications. You can find it on Amazon and at Italian specialty stores. If you are loacal to Westchester County in New York you can get it at Decicco and Sons Grocery Stores.