Lemon Ricotta Strawberry Shortcakes
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon of grated lemon zest
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter (cut into 1/2” cubes)
- 1/3 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- granulated sugar for sprinkling
- 2 cups of strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Place the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl and rub them between your fingers for about 20 seconds. This will bring out the flavor of the lemon.
- Sift the flours into the bowl. Add the baking powder and salt and whisk everything together.
- Add the butter cubes and toss them in the flour to coat.
- Using your fingers squeeze the cubes of butter into the flour. Continue until you have a coarse mixture.
- Whisk together the ricotta and cream. Add to the bowl and mix together using a rubber spatula until the dough just holds together. If the dough seems a bit dry and not quite holding together and additional cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat out to 1/2” thick fold in half. Repeat the fold.
- Pat into a 4” x 8” rectangle.
- Cut the dough into 8 2” squares and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
- Beat the egg with a teaspoon of water and brush the tops and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together the sliced strawberries and sugar.
- Whip the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until you have soft peaks.
- Assemble the shortcakes.
You can also make the dough in a stand mixer. Click on the video for instructions.