The word ciambella translates to “donut” hence the round shape of this cake with a hole like a donut. Traditionally eaten at breakfast, this cake is wonderful any time of the day.
The use of olive oil in this recipe keeps the cake moist for days, wrapped tightly at room temperature.
I’m so excited to bring you my first recipe in collaboration with Strippaggio!! I’ve added a link so you can go directly to their website to order their Lemon Extra Virgin Olive OIl, See below.
- 200 grams of Granulated Sugar 1 Cup
- The Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 Whole Large Eggs
- 2 Egg Yolks
- ¼ Teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- 120 ml Strippaggio Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil ½ Cup
- 210 grams of All-Purpose Flour 1 ¾ Cups
- 2 ½ Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 180 ml of Whole Milk ¾ Cup
- Powdered Sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350° ℉
- Butter and flour, very well, a 9" x 3"tube pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a large bowl with a hand mixer, place the sugar and lemon zest and beat for 30-40 seconds on low, or you can massage the lemon zest into the sugar with your finger tips.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks and salt and beat for 4-5 minutes on high speed with the whisk attachment. The mixture should be light in color and double in volume.
- Add the Strippaggo Lemon Extra Virgin Olive OIl and whisk on medium speed until incorporated.
- Whisk together the flour and the baking powder.
- Sift half the dry ingredients into the bowl and beat on low speed just until the flour is incorporated.
- Add the milk and continue to whisk on low speed until incorporated.
- Sift in th remaining flour and whisk until compined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on a rack to cool completely
- Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy.